Monday, December 1, 2008

U.S. Gun Legislation - Too Stupid

I guess I don't understand the American law system. All my life I've heard about the "right to bear arms" and for the most part, other countries (especially Canadians) condemn Americans as a bunch of gun-toting cowboys. But in reality the gun laws vary enormously from state to state. I actually looked them up last night, after this whole situation arose with NFL star Giants' wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

Yes - Plax is an idiot, and it's scary that he didn't know how to use his gun properly and he could have hurt someone. But in any other state, this would be a fine or probation at the most. New York State has the most stringent gun laws in the country and New York City (I didn't know that cities could make their own rules) has a minimum 3.5 year prison sentence for illegal gun possession (illegal meaning you don't have a permit) - no exceptions. And Mayor Michael Bloomberg has announced he will do everything in his power to throw the book at Plaxico:

"... I think it would be an outrage if we didn't prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, particularly people who live in the public domain, make their living because of their visibility — they're the role models for our kids," Bloomberg said.

I'm sorry, but I feel sorry for him!

Everyone is trashing Plax because he's missed a few practices and been fined a few times. But let's have a bit of perspective. Terrell Owens - and I dare you to disagree - is a much bigger disruption and troublemaker.

And T.O. could walk into any Texas bar and start firing pistols like Yosemite Sam, and maybe (just maybe) be charged for breaking a few glasses.

How is that American justice? That's just too stupid!

No comments: